How to Have Healthy Gums

Posted .

Healthy gums are a huge part of how healthy the rest of your body is. While it may not seem obvious at first, the health of your gums has a correlation to your systemic health as well. Did you know that poor gum health puts you at risk for heart disease and cancer?

That’s why Dr. Wendy Quiroz strongly encourages you to take care of your gums, and the rest of your oral health. Let’s look at what she recommends you do to maintain optimal gum health.

Consistent flossing

While brushing your teeth is important your gum health, flossing is even more so. Brushing only cleans about 65% of the surface of any given tooth. Flossing gets the other 35%, which is important because this prevents the buildup of plaque. Plaque, when left alone, turns into tartar, which causes gingivitis. Gingivitis is the first stage of gum disease and causes red, swollen gums that bleed easily.

Healthy foods

Another important aspect of gum health is ensuring that you’re eating healthily. Foods and drinks high in sugar don’t do a lot to help out your gums, or your teeth. A balanced diet is a great way to rest easy knowing your gums are healthy.

Consistent oral health routine

It’s easy to get so busy that we forget to brush, floss, and use mouthwash. However, sticking to a consistent oral health routine is one of the most effective ways to ward off any sort of gum health problems.

Any issues you notice with your gums should be looked at immediately. It’s simply not worth the risk of letting the problems go when so many things can go wrong if you don’t address your gum health. If you need help with your gums, call us today at 559-299-9211 to schedule an appointment.